Thursday 30 April 2009

Pretend to be a US citizen and watch "Dollhouse" on Hulu now!

"Here's the thing: I got to fly under the radar for eight years, on networks so magical that they no longer exist. ... As soon as I came on to the radar, and started playing in the grownup world, with 'Firefly' and 'Dollhouse,' I started being treated the way every showrunner is treated. I did think, 'I've had a track record, so they'll get it.' But there is no such thing as a track record. You toil and you toil and you argue and argue and you tear your hair out and go nuts and eventually you either retire, go mad or become powerful enough to make your own show. You say, 'I am going to show them how it's done!' And that's when you make 'Cop Rock From Cincinnati.'

Chicago Tribune: Joss Whedon on 'Dollhouse's' renewal chances, that missing episode, 'Dr. Horrible' and more, April 20, 2009

And talking about how playing in the grownup world is a tad bit less funny, I very much recommend "Runaways", a Marvel comic series originally created by Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona, but Joss Whedon took over for issue 25 to 30 and gave the series his very own tone, especially when it comes to dialogue and character development. Meanwhile the third volume is written by Terry Moore and I felt like the characters had kinda lost this strong voice they had before, but I've never really read any comics before and I just generally need to adapt to the fact that each writer and each illustrator has their own style and gives their own interpretation of the characters.
The story of the Runaways: some kids between 12 and 17 find out that their parents are supervillains, lose all trust in authority and find themselves on the run from both their evil parents, police and heroes. It has all the ingredients of a Whedon-show: love doesn't end well, death comes suddenly and is sometimes irreversible, and even good people make really bad decisions.
(after finishing, I immediately turned to The Astonishing X-Men, which takes more work since the X-Men have such a long history and the only thing I knew before is from the movies that apparently don't correspond at all with the comics.)

No comments: