Monday 24 August 2009

....

Wow, I just had another one of those intense public transport experiences that shape my perception of other people in this City. I'd just entered the train home and gotten the next best seat because 1) I was carrying a pretty heavy bag with food and beer, 2) I hadn't gotten enough sleep the night before and felt a bit weak and sick and 3) I'd just spent the entire afternoon playing with two very, very lively young children (my aunt's boyfriend's), and as you might guess, I am not the kinda girl that enjoys playing with Barbie dolls. Especially not when every attempt to quietly sneak away is met with violent iniatives from the kids, like stealing my stuff and keeping it hostage, climbing up on my back and blocking the way out. So, in short, I didn't pay much attention to the seat. It met my requirements: there were no old or pregnant people around who would have needed it more and it was close to the exit.
A few seconds after I sat down, two bikers got into the train. They were in a hurry because the train was just about to leave. They got in, dragged their two bikes into my direction, looked around, and then started to talk among themselves how "anyone could want to sit where I was sitting". It was close to the toilet, which I hadn't realized when I sat down due to the afore mentioned state of mind. And I was in their way a bit, admittedly, but that part of the train wasn't specifically designated for bikes and when I chose the seat, there were none to be seen, and I would have gotten up immediately if they had just nicely asked and explained that I was in their way. They proceeded to whisper among themselves about me for two minutes. I offered my seat, despite the fact that I had every right not to, and they declined in this ironic "you are a moron" kinda way that is so amazing when it comes from a complete stranger who has no fucking clue who you are and what you based your decision on. So I remained there and listened to them bitching about me the entire ride home. I would have gotten up and left. I am the kind of person that ALWAYS gets up whenever somebody needs my seat more. I HATE to be in anyone's way, and I am always nice to strangers, but those two were possibly the most ignorant and moronic people I have met in a pretty long time. So, two happily married strangers: Thank you for making my day. I hope that the rubber strap of karma one day snaps right back into your faces.

No comments: