Friday 22 January 2010

Columnize My Randomness, Part 26

One of the reasons for why the motivated posts from last week weren't followed up by more this week: I think my neighbours are trying to find a secret room behind their walls. Or maybe they are trying to excavate a dinosaur carefully, inch by inch, I don't know which one of the two, there is however neither a dinosaur nor a secret room, only MY APARTMENT on the other side of these walls. Seriously, having renovated my own place, I can't even start to imagine what kind of operation they are running over there, but it appears as if they might have hired the most inexperienced and inapt worker for the task. This has been going on for a month. With the amount of hammering and drilling that they've done so far, they must have built an entire city within the confines of their apartment by now. And I haven't seen them yet. They are invisible people.

Anyways, enough with the whining.

Régine Chassagne, a member of Canadian band Arcade Fire, wrote a piece for the Guardian about Haiti, the native country of her parents. In this Foreign Policy collection, different Haitian voices talk about the country before the earthquake. The last picture of the border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic clearly shows the extent of deforestation that has diminished tourism and made the country more vulnerable to natural disasters. In other news related to Haiti, Wyclef Jean's (Fugees) charity Yele Haiti is under scrutiny because the administrative costs are higher than in other comparable non-profits.

At the beginning of last December, Bristol-based band Portishead released a track called "Chase the Tear" for Amnesty International. You can watch the video here or download the song - all profits go to Amnesty.

New Spoon-record called "Transference". Haven't heard it yet but the bits and pieces available online sound amazing. 

While re-watching the third season of "Skins", I once again found myself strangely drawn to a particular song that is very much unlike the music I usually enjoy. In the episode "JJ", British band "You Love Her Coz She's Dead" performed their song "Superheroes" live within the show. Here's another song by the band:

YLHCSD - Dead End



In the spirit of tv series and music, here is a mixtape inspired by "Caprica" ("Music for Our Future"), which will start its regular run on the SyFy-channel tomorrow (with a rerun of the two-hour-long pilot, regular new episodes start next week). It's co-curated by Pitchfork. 

Not even Katee Sackhoff is enough to make me watch "24" (the show has tried to lure me to the dark side for a very long time now. But I resisted Janeane Garofalo, Michelle Forbes and Mia Kirshner, and "finally I only get to sit behind and a desk and not kick ass" doesn't really make it harder). I will happily continue to read interviews and wait for someone to give her a gun-bearing role again, though.

The New Yorker has a really extensive profile of Neil Gaiman ("the most famous writer you’ve never heard of."). He is also now engaged to Amanda Palmer of the Dresden Dolls. I don't know why I mentioned that, probably because usually the allure of celebrity relationships escape me but this one seems pretty cool. As far as other people's relationships can be cool. OK, I'll stop babbling now.

CAVE people seems like the kind of pejorative acronym that might have been flying around in these parts if the native language was English and we had this specific sense of humour. (Und hier ein dazu passender Artikel über die Erfüllung der vereinbarten Quote zur Aufnahme von Asylwerbern)

No comments: