Sunday 7 February 2010

Das Lied zum Sonntag

Ben Folds Five - Mess 
There was a time that I had nothing to explain. Oh, this mess I had made! But then things got complicated, my innocence has all but faded. Oh, this mess I have made
And I don't believe in God, so I can't be saved. All alone as I've learned to be in this mess I have made.
All the untested virtue, the things I said I'd never do: least of all to you.
I know he's kind and true, I know that he is good to you. He'll never care for you more than I do.
But I don't believe in love, and I can't be changed. All alone as I've learned to be, in this mess I have made the same mistakes, over and over again.
There are rooms in this house that I don't open any more. Dusty books and pictures on the floor. That she will never see - She'll never see that part of me I want to be for her - What I could never be for you.
And I don't believe in God, so I can't be saved. All alone as I've learned to be in this mess I have made.
[on "The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner", 1999]
A weekend spent thinking about this episode of "Skins" , experiencing the sense of shell-shock in fandom, and the immediate instinct to write stories to make sense of it. I know, there's been a lot of "Skins" and too little of anything else here, and I promise this will change soon (I also hesitate to review the final episode of "Dollhouse", because posting it would be such a definite end). It's just that this is such a good story.

No comments: