Wednesday 5 May 2010

Regrets, regrets

I started to listen to Sleater-Kinney pretty much exactly two months before they went on hiatus ("we tried not to fade out, not to come to a grinding halt"). It's one of those really sad examples of horrible timing, because I think they played the Donaufestival in Krems a year earlier, and I could have easily gone there. Anyways - it never ceases to amaze me how incredible they sound live, how Corin's voice is among the most compelling instruments, how Janet Weiss is just a relentless machine behind those drums, and how Carrie, who I've always loved best, just perfectly COMPLEMENTS Corin's singing, and just plays the living hell out of that Gibson guitar. How this band is not a reference point for what incredible, personal, moving music is supposed to be and do I will never understand.

Sleater-Kinney live on David Letterman, 2006
"There is a bridge adored and famed / The Golden spine of engineering / Whose back is heavy / With my weight"

No comments: