Saturday 3 July 2010

Musik, erste Hälfte 2010

Since I seem to be unable to write more than one coherent sentence about music, I thought I'd round up some of my favourite records of this year so far. It's video-heavy as usual, hence the cut.

Tocotronic: Schall und Wahn
There was only a very slim chance that they'd beat "Kapitulation" because when I listened to those songs  they seemed so significant in relation to some of the issues I was facing both in my work and my private life (as if there was still such a distinction...) It's still relevant. It's still the first thing that will ever come to my mind when I try to think of something that combines what I learn in political science and sociology classes with rather beautiful poetry. But "Kapitulation"... was just something else. Sorry.

Scout Niblett: The Calcination of Scout Niblett
Actually wrote about that. Return to the roots.  Songs that start out quietly until they hit you over the head with a rock, in the good way.

Crystal Castles: Crystal Castles II
I started watching "Skins" in March 2009, and since then, the show has put a lot of music I probably wouldn't have been interested in before into context. Crystal Castles, not unlike You Love Her Coz She's Dead, or Skream, work much better when they evoke this weird combination of ecstasy and violence that always comes with "Skins"-party scenes. Not that I'd ever be brave enough to attend a concert, but I get the sentiment now.

Ben Sollee & Daniel Martin Moore: Dear Companion


This record is about the horrible practice of mountaintop removal mining - a practice that doesn't just scar the landscape, but is also terrible for the environment. I also wouldn't have noticed it, listening to the record, because it's mostly just beautiful music, especially the titular track. It's probably going to be one of my favourite songs this year.

Blitzen Trapper: Destroyer of the Void
With Blitzen Trapper, on the other hand, it's impossible not to listen to the lyrics. They are dark and tell tales of violence and crime, and love and nature. 

"The Man Who Would Speak True"

Kaki King: Junior
This is my favourite record this year so far. It's completely different than Kaki's previous ones (what some reviewers might dub "more accessible", although it's mainly about the fact that she sings more now, and some songs turn out to be secretly heavy metal, like "Death Head"). 

"Sunnyside"

Titus Andronicus: The Monitor
One of my many new discoveries this year: sounds like an angrier version of "Bright Eyes" informed by the writings of Sarah Vowell, drawing parallels between Civil War History (a good part of the record consists of political quotes from the era, speeches by Abraham Lincoln) and growing up in New Jersey. 

"A More Perfect Union"

Foals: Total Life Forever
"Spanish Sahara" was used for the trailer of the final episode of "Skins" this year. The record followed months later and is stunningly beautiful. 

"Spanish Sahara"

No comments: