Thursday 23 December 2010

Linkliste unbehandelter Themen

This thing is just all over the place (kind of like the Christmas presents my family picks out for me every year - which is absolutely part of the reason why I love each and every one of them so much), so there's a CUT. 



Politics: 

The opposition of the Republican Senators in Congress to the new START is both faltering and inexplicable. 

The Hungarian parliament has passed a law that extends the powers of a newly created media regulator. 

The debate surrounding the rape charges against Julian Assange seems to bring out the worst in some liberal commentators (while the charges themselves aren't exactly comparable, the whole thing reminds me of how some artists reacted to the arrest of Roman Polanski in 2009). 

Pop Culture: 

David Lynch is currently hosting a contest for filmmakers to create videos for two pieces of  his music. One of them looks like a very angsty piece of The Middleman femslash, and I mean that in the best way possible.

I saw both Black Swan and Kynodontas this weekend and while they deal with completely different subject matters, there were some very strange connections between the movies (and some to Never Let Me Go). Of the three, Kynodontas is definitely my favourite and one of my biggest recommendations this year (even though it came out last year, technically).

Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen's Portlandia (a "sketch comedy show" with guest stars such as Kyle McLachlan, Aubrey Plaza, Aimee Mann) is going to come out early next year.

Movies I've yet to see/am looking forward to seeing next year: Hanna, Somewhere, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (I only recently found out that Kelly Macdonald is going to play Helena Ravenclaw - awesomeness).

Elude is an incredibly and impressively ambitious attempt to visualize the "emotional landscapes" of people suffering from depression in a "game".

Skins Skins Skins. Skins UK revealed the characters of the third generation in short bios (which traditionally aren't necessarily going to give the viewers a very complex or meaningful picture of who they will be in the show, so I shouldn't be that excited about some characters sharing my taste in tv shows, film and music). From the bios alone, I'd predict that my favourite characters will be Franky, Matty and possibly Liv, but we'll see. 
Skins US, meanwhile, is doing a pretty good job at making it absolutely impossible to dislike the lovely people portraying a different take (and some, new characters) on the first generation. I'm particularly impressed with those riddled with the task of portraying my favourite characters (Cassie/Cadie, Chris, Jal/Daisy).

No comments: