Friday 28 January 2011

Episode One. New start, yeah?

 
foals | red sox (various production remix). caribou | jamelia. crystal castles | year of silence. dj shadow | giving up the ghost. skream and example | shot yourself in the foot again. lightning dust | castles and caves. yeah yeah yeahs | rich. foals | after glow


livestream here.

liveblogging, kinda...



Nice parents! Franky has already joined an exclusive minority on Skins and it's only been 2 minutes.

Wow, it's been forever since students on Skins actually went to school. Hi, fond memories of gym class.

 "Earth to oddness" LOL. It's strange how the fact that I've seen loads of interviews in which Freya Mavor was obviously an awesome and nice person now plays into my perception of Mini, who is neither.

So David Blood is multi-tasking? I miss Harriet.

 I WILL ACCEPT NO OTHER TRIANGLE BUT FRANKY, MINI AND GRACE. Don't even try, show.

Grace is so far equal part Cassie and Pandora, and it's so weird that it actually works?

The music is really, really good. Way better than on Skins US. It fits better, it's more subtle, it doesn't overpower what is actually happening.

HALFTIME: 
The acting isn't awkward at all. This was something I feared because usually the first few episodes are always bumpy, acting-wise, but they are all doing a good job and Dakota Blue Richards is perfect - and Mini has this weird and very obvious self-consciousness going on that also works really well. Not sure about Alo and Rich though - they'll need their own stories, so far they're comic relief (on the other hand, Chris started out like this too, so this could go anywhere). No sign of the mystery boy so far, and Mini's boyfriend was on screen for like one scene.

"I DON'T SPEAK MUMBLE". I bet she doesn't mingle with goths either.

"THIS IS THE ORIGINAL PUNK: CHARLOTTE FUCKING BRONTE".

CUE THE VAMPIRE.

I mean, seriously. Who didn't see that coming.

"So why do I see a glorious fucking headfuck thing". Ok. I promise I will never ever invoke Effy when writing about you, Matty.

 HEART OF GLASS. THAT HAS NEVER LED ANYWHERE GOOD.

 I don't think I've ever just LIKED so many characters after a pilot episode of anything. This is so adorable.

RESUMÉ: 

I really liked how the episode connected all the characters. Franky's outside perspective on everyone before she really knew them, and the way it changed over the course of the episode, was really well-constructed. I like almost everyone, but there wasn't much of Nick (who I will probably take the longest to actually like, if ever), and Liv didn't have any scenes that were her own. Basically, it was just nice seeing people hang out together and become friends and have fun (and not the "doomed party" thing that happened so often last year). I already like the dynamics between the characters, especially Franky/Mini, and it's really great that they miraculously translated whatever it was that Pandora contributed to gen 3 by introducing a character that is kind of like her, but not a simple carbon copy.
And finally, this wasn't just a good pilot episode - an episode that did everything a pilot is supposed to do - but a good episode of television in general, and probably my favourite first episode of any season of Skins so far (and I did like 2x01), which is really surprising. Can't wait for next week.

Behind the Scenes

No comments: