Wednesday 27 August 2008

...

I just met my direct neighbour (the "Student who barely ever leaves his appartment", quote the neighbours on the opposite side). It was a weird moment. In a flash, all the strange things he might have heard through the walls occurred to me. Like discussing gender politics and sex at 2.30 AM, watching "I Shot Andy Warhol", "Lost", "Veronica Mars" etc really loudly and commenting on it, recording myself reading Wikipedia entries to practice my English (on "carpetbagging" and "The American Colonization Society", both very interesting), swearing extremely loudly after stuff fell on me or I hurt myself while trying to fix stuff or just because it seemed the right thing to do. Or watching the Strache-Haider-discussion three times in a row last Friday. Or fighting the onimous person with the very bad taste in music by playing "Scheiß auf deutsche Texte", "Aber hier leben nein danke" und "Aber andererseits:" REALLY loudly. And that guy probably has heard more Sleater-Kinney than any other average Viennese male person.
Oh well.
But seriously, after thinking about it, I realized that I didn't really care. I always assume that the walls don't let any sounds through because I never hear anything from him (heck, if the newspapers didn't disappear now and then from his doorstep, he might as well be dead). And I've seen him exactly once in two months, which tells me that probably, we have different lifestyles.

No comments: