Tuesday 13 March 2012

Episode Eight. Why is it me that has to care?


bikini kill | double dare ya. autoclave | go far. heavens to betsy | she's the one. excuse 17 | break and enter. team dresch | take on me. bratmobile | what's wrong with you? god is my co-pilot | kissing frenzy. slant 6 | what kind of monster are you?  sleater-kinney | i wanna be yr joey ramone.


liveblogging, kinda...
I thought I'd cautiously bring this back on the occasion of Liv's episode because of reasons and also there is always the faint hope of things improving and making sense and such, and this is the first episode in a while (a long, long while) that I've actually been looking forward to rather than dreading.

JOSIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HIS NAME IS ACTUALLY SWEETCHEEKS.

And everything can always go wrong, Doug.

I'm kind of intrigued by the fact that Mini isn't actually AVOIDING Liv but always keeping close as a reminder of something, or perhaps waiting for something.

Oh.
Well.
Of course.
And that too: that the distractions just stop working, no matter how hard Liv tries, Grace is always sort of there.

And basically I've just really missed Jessica Sula's face on this show.

"Is that why he keeps you?"

Well, ten minutes in and I haven't yet found something to complain about, so that's already a significant improvement!

lol a literal "straight people problems" ad.

PLEASE DON'T BE A DEADLY DISEASE. PLEASE DON'T KILL OFF MY FAVOURITE CHARACTER AFTER EVERYTHING ELSE IN THIS SEASON.

Maude!!
"I stopped washing"
One of my favourite siblings relationships on this show.

Ugh NOOOO.

"Nobody looks at me."

This is where Franky opens the door to Mini's house in what I can only describe in a 50s outfit and then Mini joins them in Parks + Recs amount of plaid. They're really bad at the whole "in the closet" thing.

What reason exactly does Franky have to be pissed at Liv though?

Okay, whenever the show goes too dark on me again I'll just picture Doug in a kayak and that'll make things better I guess.

"Once I danced to help a girl get through an exam."

Oh man.

It's telling that they need to put the most reasonable character this season into scenes with actual adults since everybody else is acting like an utterly ridiculous twat.

"She's with Nick now"
Like.
The implications of that.

A WILD FRANKY APPEARS

But slut-shaming is always fucking wrong though.

"That Grace wouldn't be dead".
IDK
It's not true, and it doesn't become more true just because Franky was MORE involved than, say, Liv or Mini were. Or being involved and being responsible are two different things.

BUT WOW have I been missing Liv and Mini as friends, and this feels like... like Mini made more sense to Freya in this episode than throughout most of her other scenes this season?

Here's a couple of things though:

I think the constant slut-shaming Franky's been through (and GRACE actually started this) is awful.
I feel like Franky's resentment of Liv hasn't been properly explained and it wasn't really established how they all ended up so isolated - this is also true for Mini and Liv.
I think regardless of whether the "none of this would have happened without you" argument holds any truth, it's something that would realistically be raised. It's pointless to assign blame and it doesn't bring back Grace, but this is what happens when horrible things occur.

"Something's wrong."

This is about not listening and not seeing and not communicating and misunderstanding.

AND I SORT OF LOVE that Liv's RAGE kind of clashes with Rich's way of dealing with it.
(and none of this is true if Grace is actually alive, which I think would be utterly unforgivable, but it seems to not be entirely unlikely that this is where the season is heading).

...and this is also very close to how I deal with doctors, and problems in general, postponing until they're too serious to actually solve.

TRUCE?

Moroccan prison has done wonders for Matty's hair.

Yes, Matty, join the ranks of the emotionally stalkery straight dudes. It's a winning team.

JFC.
IDK IDK IDK.

I mean not that they didn't have a history of a slightly (emotionally) abusive relationship ("I hope you die puking out your kidneys", etc..), but, I don't know, actually punching and drawing blood just to get a reaction? Completely deleting the impact of the previous scene, the phone conversation?

But at least it took only forty minutes for me to get really frustrated and irritated so improvement, I guess?

The weird thing is that the scene doesn't even really fit in with the rest of the episode? So. I don't really know what to make of it.

Next episode, Mini and Franky get stalked some more by their respective fuck buddies and then decide to live happily ever after with each other.

No comments: